Self-Inflicted Sickness

IT was back to work for me on Tuesday after an eventful weekend and actually a sick day on Monday. I think I gave myself a stomach virus! Weird, right? Let me start at the beginning.

On Saturday morning, Shane and I took turns going for a run. When he was back and showered, I got dressed and headed to my local Fleet Feet running store which puts on a fun run every Saturday morning. I saw this as an opportunity to meet other runners. As it turns out, most of the other runners were either slated to run a much longer or much shorter distance than I was. I ended up running with another woman for almost 2 miles, when I turned around to complete almost 4 miles. She was in marathon training and running up to 10 miles! It was the coldest temperature I’d ever run in at a brisk 27 degrees and very high winds which were leftover from the huge storm that hit the northeast. My legs were freezing and it felt like I had wind burn on my face but I kept up with my regular pace despite the high winds. I just wanted to get it over with! At one point, running into the wind, I felt like a cartoon character with spinning legs but not making any forward progress! I made the mistake of not adequately re-hydrating after my run. I decided a warm chai tea from Starbucks sounded so much better than water. Later that night, we had some friends over for a playdate with the kiddos. As soon as the little ones were all asleep, we popped open a bottle of red… and then another… and then a bottle of port. We had a blast catching up Aaron & Elise and talking about our kids, but needless to say, I drank too much vino and paid for it the next day.

Shane claims that I was functioning at about 17% but I think that estimate was generous. I had a headache and queasy stomach for most of the day. We had plans drive to Annapolis for visits to see my cousin, Alex and then our friend, Michelle. I’d been looking forward to getting together so I didn’t want to bail out due to my irresponsibility. The long car ride didn’t help my situation and Shane actually had to pull over once on the way there because I got sick. I thought I would finally feel better, but I only went downhill from there. The rest of the day I battled the chills, nausea and weakness since I didn’t have much of an appetite. I went to bed almost immediately after putting the boys to bed, but didn’t sleep well since I felt hot one minute and cold the next and I was so incredibly thirsty all night.

Monday was a big day for us. Armed with Ibuprofen and Pedialyte, I felt well enough to accompany Shane to Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore. Caleb had an early appointment at 8:30, which meant we had to take Wyatt with us since our daycare doesn’t open until 7:30. Otherwise, we would’ve been cutting it too close. In hindsight, we probably would’ve still made our appointment on time since the doctor was 20 minutes late, but oh well. The appointment went about as you would expect with two 19-month olds who were hungry and tired. Shane and I’s conversation after it was over went something like this:

A: “So what did the doctor say about that MRI?”

S: “I was trying to stop Wyatt from banging his head on the floor at that point so I missed it. Did he use the word manifesting or masquerading regarding that other thing…?”

A: “Um, what?”

We should seriously start recording our doctor’s appointments or hire someone to transcribe them if we have to bring both boys with us. It was a mess.

When we got back, I decided I ran errands instead of resting so I started to feel pretty sick again.  I was feeling feverish and generally icky, so I called out of work sick and took it easy for the rest of the night. It’s still unknown whether I had the world’s longest hangover or if my hangover developed into a 24-hour bug. Either way, I’m feeling 100% better now and the rest of the week is packed full of therapy sessions (3!) and preparing Valentines goodies.


I'm a working mom of three fantastic boys: Caleb, Wyatt and Parker. My husband, Shane, and I live in the Washington DC suburbs where we enjoy playgrounds, pools and never getting to sleep in. This blog is a journal of our day-to-day lives as well as a chronicle of Caleb's progress after a recent spinal surgery to alleviate the effects of his cerebral palsy.

Posted in Uncategorized, Weekend

I love to hear from you! Leave a comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 209 other followers

Number of blog hits
  • 79,562
Recent Posts
%d bloggers like this: